Wednesday, April 9, 2008

PRESCRIPTION FOR TROUBLE

Prescription drugs. Most of us have had them at least once in our lives. We go the doctor with back pain, sore throat, a viral infection, broken bones, and perhaps surgical needs. It's so common to see your doctor write a prescription and without haste we consume these magic little pills.

I almost choked on my spaghetti when I saw an add for a pill that helps restless leg syndrome? It may cause strong sexual urges and impulsive gambling? Wow! When did the side affects of prescription drugs become more uncomfortable and dangerous than the afflictions they're supposed to be treating?

My exposure to prescription drugs happened without my knowledge. I was nine weeks old. I was born with a birth defect called bi-lateral club feet. Both legs were twisted from the knee down and my ankles were also twisted which left my feet upside down at birth. I was in surgery at nine and a half weeks old and faced with two more surgeries by the age of four.

I was on prescription drugs since an infant. Through the years I found myself with many medical hardships. I had an appendectomy, thyroid cancer, exploratory surgery on my fallopian tubes, two herniated disks, seizure disorder, panic attack disorder, and a brain aneurysm. Every doctor had a prescription pad and a pen full of ink. I seemed to always have been medicated.

Prescription drugs have a dual purpose for an addict. They help with a medical condition and they get the addict high if abused. I am an addict. And in order to feed my addictions, I never revealed this to any doctor. Because I was so accustomed to being on prescription drugs, it was and still is incredibly easy to get them from medical professionals. I didn't need to fake any condition. I had so many throughout life, a doctor would review my records and ask a question like, "so what medications do you find most effective?" Well, for an addict that's like a waiter taking your order.

I didn't ever think I was hurting myself by keeping my addiction problems from doctors. I don't think I even cared. I just seized the opportunity to get more presciption drugs. I've had a problem with opiates of every sort like Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Oxycontin, as well as "benzos" like adevan, Valium, and Xanax and other prescription drugs like Methodone, Dilantin, Soma, Morphene and Phenobarbital. If it came in bottle, I took an excess.

The problem with prescription drugs is that they are simple to acquire. An alcoholic has it even tougher I imagine, as they have the temptation staring them in the face at every restaurant and grocery store. Unlike street drugs, it is legal to have a prescription drug on me. Doesn't the law realize for an addict, it's just as lethal as a syringe full of heroine?

At almost every "support" meeting I've attended over the years I've been asked; "what's your d.o.c. (drug of choice)? I finally came to realize my d.o.c. is a high. Plain and simple. The only way for me to stay clean and not fall is for me to decline prescription drugs when a doctor wants to give them to me. I still don't offer the information readily about my addiction problem. I take responsibility for my own well-being.

If the pain is horribly uncomfortable but I'm not dying, then I'll find a better way to cope than prescription drugs. Because one pill leads to countless bottles. And ultimately, another relapse.

I encourage every addict to honestly assess their addiction. You may be able to fool a thousand doctors in a lifetime, but it's only hurting yourself and keeping you from being the best that you can be. Say NO to DRUGS OF ALL KINDS! By eliminating one thing from your life, you will acquire so much more. I promise!

to be continued.....

No comments: